I’d like to pretend that I’m a wise individual since I’m nearing thirty years of age, but the truth is, I still do a lot of stupid stuff. Nonetheless, in honor of my birthday weekend and turning old(er), here’s 21 things learned in 21 years. Because I stopped counting at 21. And also because everyone needs unwarranted advice from a complete stranger.
1. If it scares the crap outta you, it’s probably worth pursuing. Unless this is a person we’re talking about. Then you should run.
2. Anything is possible with a clean house.
3. Life experiences are more valuable than material possessions.
4. Creeping on WebMD always leads to a cancer diagnosis. Avoid at all costs.
5. Wait for pizza to cool before taking a big bite. A burnt mouth is nothing to mess with.
6. A lousy day can be turned around with puppy snuggles and a hot mug of tea.
7. Get rid of the negativity in your life and you’ll instantly feel lighter.
8. Groom your pets often to avoid bum nuggets. They’re the worst.
9. You’re the only person in control of your happiness. Choose to be happy.
10. Once a procrastinator, always a procrastinator. You may think you’ll be able to magically kick this annoying habit sometime in adulthood, but nope. It’ll always be there.
11. People from all around the world aren’t as different as they’re made out to be on the news.
12. Some of us need more sleep than others to function in life. *raises hand*
13. Adult acne is real.
14. Treat your siblings with kindness early on in life and they’ll become your best friends.
15. Time is your most precious resource… don’t waste it.
16. To a certain extent no one knows what they’re doing…
17. Except your parents. Parents are always right. Always!
18. Luck is more about effort than chance.
19. Dog feet smell like hay and Fritos. The scent is surprisingly relaxing.
20. Marry your best friend. If you don’t feel comfortable hanging out in sweatpants (and probably braless) with your spouse… well, that sucks.
21. Being able to laugh at yourself is a wonderful gift.
What have you learned as you’ve gotten older (and wiser)?
Filed Under: Lifestyle