Sometimes I want breakfast food and mimosas for dinner. Is that such a crime? When hunger strikes and I want to surprise my husband with eggy goodness and champagne, I turn to this easy breakfast casserole recipe I found. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this in the past.
What you’ll need:
2 cups of smoke, diced ham
4 1/2 cups cubed sourdough bread
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 brick cream cheese
1 yellow onion
1 medium green pepper
1 medium red pepper
2 cups whole milk
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt and a pinch of pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Brown 2 cups of diced ham in a little olive oil. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In the same pan, sauté diced green pepper, red pepper and yellow onion until brown. Remove from heat and add to bowl of diced ham.
4. Cube 4 1/2 cups of sourdough bread and set aside.
5. Mix 12 eggs, 2 cups whole milk, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of ground mustard in a separate bowl. Add the mixture to a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
6. Slowly add bread, ham, peppers, onions and 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese to the casserole dish, folding everything together.
7. Cut cream cheese into small pieces and scatter on top of mixture.
8. Add the remaining shredded cheese (1 cup) on top of the cream cheese.
9. Place casserole in the oven for about an hour and get ready for yumminess. Let it cool for a bit before you serve.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can completely change it up. I went off of the original and decreased the amount of cheese, got rid of the mushrooms and spinach, and added green and red peppers. You can do almost whatever you’d like!
Filed Under: Food, Recipes